Friday, June 27, 2008

For Reals?

This month has been a busy one, and we just haven't made it to the pool yet. With the boys young ages and our fair skin, I am not the mother (and will probably never be that mother) who takes her kids to the pool all the time. BUT, it's been hot again this week, and my kids won't actually ever really learn to swim if I don't take them to the pool. And I do like the pool. Except maybe how prune-y my fingers get. And the thought of little kids peeing in that same water that Michael just drank when he stuck his head under water. Anyway, we're there for an hour+, and then out of nowhere, it just starts pouring rain. As in soaking-your-towels-within-a-minute-rain. Rain that we haven't SEEN AT ALL FOR THE PAST MONTH. But you know, we're all wet anyway, so it doesn't really matter, right? We wait about 15 minutes and then it's done. And we're in the water doing our thing again (which is, me catching the boys as they jump off the side...one at a time, that is). And then about 30 minutes later, we're back out of the water because the lifeguards heard thunder. And so they have to close the pool for 30 minutes. Which is a sign for me to go ahead and go home. Because they extend the closed pool for 30 more minutes every time it thunders. So, we pack up and head to the van, Matthew crying a little because I'm making him leave. Yes, I'm that kind of mother. The kind that makes her kid leave the water so he doesn't get struck by lightening. THAT mother. For the record, I'm also the kind of mother who doesn't let him stand under tall trees in thunderstorms, stick his fingers in outlets, or go skiing off the roof. He truly suffers. But I do give him lead paint chips for a snack, so I think we can call it even. Anyway, when we get home, my sis-in-law (Hi Shannon!) who was with me, but left a bit later had left me a message that they gave out rain passes right after we left. Rats.

BUT, we did get some very much needed rain. We had such a wet spring, but currently our grass is so, so brown. So, I'm trying not to be too Cranky Pants about missing the rain passes.

4 comments:

  1. What kind of mother are you??? Caleb is appalled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be a "pool mom" - no kidding. I am jealous every time I go to the pool and see the moms who get to sit around every day and talk to their pool mom friends and get a tan. Sadly, I am not. My revenge is that I will not have leathery wrinkled skin in a few years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay to no wrinkles! If only pools were a little shadier, I would be more apt to spend more time at the pool. I also want my kids to experience more regular just summer stuff than they would if I took them all the time...It's not a judgment ON "pool moms"...just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny -- I complain about our pool's being too shady. It doesn't get warm!

    ReplyDelete

We can all be sweet and kind, yes? I am so thankful when my Wonder Readers share their positive thoughts with me!